*** URGENT NEED ***
We are Forming a New FINANCE COMMITTEE for the 2018-2019 School Year (Click to Learn More and Apply)
Davis Elementary is proud of its tradition of having many volunteers to help out in so many areas of our school. Studies show that parental involvement in a child’s education is one of the most important factors in raising student self-esteem and academic achievement.
We realize, however, that each of our families is unique—with its own priorities, needs, talents, and time constraints—and so we strive to provide as many different types of opportunities for parental involvement as possible.
So how do you get involved?
- Please review the opportunities below and contact the committee chair directly or return this printable form to your child’s teacher, or in the PTA mail box located in the front office.
- Sign up to receive emails from your class’ room parent(s). Sign up during Back to School nights, contact your room parents(s) directly, or give your contact info to your teacher and request that s/he to pass it to the room parent(s) to be added to the email list.
- Watch the weekly Dolphin Digest email for volunteer requests. These requests will be the most current needs at the school.
- Attend the Back to School Nights and sign up to help a committee.
- Talk to any of the PTA Board members or Committee Chairs.
- “Direct contact volunteers” must submit background checks in accordance with Texas law. Please scroll to bottom or click here for more information and to learn how through APIE. We recommend doing this as soon as possible.
Immediate needs are listed weekly in the Dolphin Digest. If you have general questions please email: email@example.com.
- General or “On Call” Volunteer, firstname.lastname@example.org – Want to stay informed of volunteer opportunities, without having to commit right away? Sign up HERE to join our E-mail list. When there is an opportunity, you will be the first to know! (No pressure to say yes when you are contacted.)
- Room Parent (1-2 per class), email@example.com – Each classroom has a room parent and/or co-room parents (max of 2) who serve as liaison between the PTA, teacher and parents within a class. The room parent(s) schedule volunteers for all big events (DolphinFest in late October, Big To-Do in March, Spring Fling in April, and Teacher Appreciation Week in early May).
- Grade Level Coordinator (1-2 per grade), firstname.lastname@example.org – Serve as a liaison between the lead teacher and the room parents. Duties include providing support for room parents, relaying information from teachers to room parents.
- Appreciation Committee, email@example.com – Organize and set-up food for teachers during one in-service day per semester, the holidays, and coordinate activities during Teacher Appreciation Week in early May.
- Art Helper, firstname.lastname@example.org – Assist with hanging and taking down artwork in the school throughout the school year.
- Big To-Do, email@example.com – Assist with ticket sales before/after school, fundraise for the silent auction, coordinate the set-up, or help during the event.
- Blessings in a Backpack, firstname.lastname@example.org, Help prepare bags of food on Friday mornings after drop-off for students to take home over the weekend.
- Book Fair, email@example.com – Assist with fair set-up, decorating the library, and selling books during the annual Book Fair.
- Box Tops, a.k.a. Corporate Community Contribs, firstname.lastname@example.org – Volunteers will be needed once per semester to help with various promotions and organize the collections, during or after school.
- Campus Advisory Committee (CAC), email@example.com – The CAC helps set school goals and strategies. This group has monthly meetings at Davis right after school and includes the principal, teachers, campus staff, district staff, parents, and community members.
- Campus Beautification, firstname.lastname@example.org – Support sustainability efforts on campus and inspire students to become lifelong environmental stewards. Volunteers needed to plan, develop and maintain a beautiful campus and educational gardens for our students.
- Corporate Community Contribs, email@example.com
- Computer Lab, firstname.lastname@example.org – Sign up for shifts to help students in the computer labs, especially helpful for younger grade levels.
- Dine with Davis, email@example.com – Assist with the planning of 2-3 restaurant fundraiser nights. Help oversee event if coordinators are unable to attend the whole time.
- DolphinFest, firstname.lastname@example.org – Help plan and assist in various sub-committees for our biggest school fundraiser: Booths, Food, Eggs, Tickets, Volunteers, General Store, etc..
- Hospitality Committee, email@example.com – Coordinate and set-up Boo-Hoo Yahoo coffee, Principal Coffees, and welcome parents to the school. Some events are before or after school.
- Legacy Volunteers, firstname.lastname@example.org – This group of grandparents, neighbors, and community members will sign up to assist teachers during the day by listening to children read, helping with basic counting and addition, and preparing materials, etc.
- Library Helper, email@example.com – Shelve books and help the librarian with class supplies before, during, or after school.
- Math Pentathlon, firstname.lastname@example.org – New coaches for this after-school group are needed for Div 1 (K-1st) and Div 2 (2nd-3rd), once a week, in their pre-prepared games. Training is provided. Rule experts and behavior monitors also needed. Season is Oct-Feb.
- Membership, email@example.com – Help advertise and collect membership forms during PTA membership drive in August and September.
- Music Helper, firstname.lastname@example.org – Assist music teacher with music performances and other projects; watch morning classes while music teacher rehearses for music performance.
- No Hassle Fundraiser, email@example.com – Help by working a shift at the Ice Cream Social or BTS nights, preparing donations for deposit, or advertising.
- Ocean Week (M.A.R.E.), firstname.lastname@example.org – Help count inventory of supplies by grade level and purchasing missing supplies. Help decorate the school during M.A.R.E. in April.
- Office Support, email@example.com – Help with copying or answering phones as needed during the day, especially needed at lunchtime and on Fridays.
- P.E. Helper, firstname.lastname@example.org – Assist PE Teacher with Jack-O-Lantern Jump Rope, Turkey Trot, One World, Ocean Olympics and other PE projects during the day. Input PE data into computer from home.
- Reflections Committee, email@example.com – Help coordinate Reflections celebration event, collect student entries, and advertise the program.
- S.T.E.M. Helper, firstname.lastname@example.org – Help the science lab coordinator prepare materials or assist students during lab times with experiments or Lego Robotics. If you are in the science field and would like to share your expertise, the science lab coordinator would love to have you.
- Science Fair, email@example.com – Assist with checking in projects early in the week of the science fair, judge science fair projects on the following day, help tally the scores and determine the regional finalists, or help coordinate celebration event in early February.
- Skate Nights, firstname.lastname@example.org – Plan and promote school skate nights. Help copy and distribute flyers and hang banner, once every other month.
- Spring Fling, email@example.com – Help advertise the Spring Fling’s family and friends disco and raffle, sell raffle tickets before and after school, and help with concessions and decorations.
- T-shirts, firstname.lastname@example.org – Help promote the annual t-shirt pre-sales in the spring, pass out pre-orders at the Ice Cream Social, help with t-shirt sales at the start of the school year.
- Toy Wrangler, email@example.com – Help sort and prepare donated toys to be used as prizes during DolphinFest or the Spring Fling raffle.
- WatchD.O.G.S., firstname.lastname@example.org – WatchD.O.G.S. is a full-day volunteer program for Davis dads. Dads sign up for the day(s) they would like to volunteer and the office coordinates their schedule.
- Web Committee, email@example.com – Sign up for a monthly shift to manage updates to website, create and send weekly Digest emails. Can be done from home.
- Welcome to Davis Club, firstname.lastname@example.org – Assist with planning activities for families whose children will be kindergarten students at Davis during the following school year. Prepare schedule in early February for events in April – May.
- Yearbook, email@example.com – Take pictures of events happening in your grade level.
APIE’s Background Check for Direct Contact Volunteers
Thank you so much for working with our students! We really appreciate your time. The safety of our students is important to us and Davis requires all direct contact volunteers submit their information for a background check through Austin Partners in Education (APIE). Direct contact volunteers are those that work 1-on-1 with students, chaperone and drive students on field trips.
- To have a background check run, go to Austin Partners in Education
- Select the School-Based Volunteers link, select Davis Elementary School
- Follow the instructions on the screen (no donation required)