Dear PTA Members,
The 2017-2018 school year has been a rewarding year for us. Hundreds of volunteers worked in many different ways to organize events, host enrichment programs, shower appreciation inside our school, and engage with our community outside our campus.
Our strong membership numbers gave us a voice in our advocacy efforts, and the volunteer power behind our fundraising activities generated over $108,000! This money supports reading, math, science, art, music, the library, PE, and other essential programs for our school. Thank you to everyone who played a part, large or small, in our success. We could not meet our goals without everything you have done this year.
We need your help next year, too.
We need your ideas about how to include more people, how to communicate more effectively, and how to spend the money we raise to best serve our students and teachers. There are many ways you can pitch in – from stuffing goodie bags in the evenings with friends to leading projects that change people’s lives. Go to www.davisdolphins.net/volunteering to see all the opportunities available. You’ll have a chance to sign up at Ice Cream Social, Back-to-School Night, and online in the fall. Everyone is welcome, and the more, the merrier. Please talk to your friends this summer about being part of the action.
Those of you with extra passion for some of our more important missions might consider one of our available chair positions:
- Parliamentarian: The parliamentarian advises the president and other officers, executive board members, and members of the PTA on matters of parliamentary procedure. This is our PTA rules expert who ensures we comply with state and local bylaws. The parliamentarian maintains a position of impartiality and does not make motions, enter debate, or vote.
- Membership Chair: Recruit returning and new members throughout the year with the goal of recruiting one member for every student on your campus – A Voice for Every Child! Submit reports and dues as needed; Organization and administrative duties are primary qualities needed for this position.
- C.A.C. Chair: Represent the PTA on the Campus Advisory Council (CAC). CAC meetings are held the first Tuesday of every month after school (3:15-4:30) in the Library. It’s a fascinating meeting to attend and a great gig for someone who really wants to know what’s happening in our school.
- Appreciation Chair: Plan and execute events around school, including teacher breakfasts and lunches, holiday treats, teacher appreciation week, and other activities with a large group of volunteers.
- Finance Committee: Assist the PTA Treasurer throughout the school year at fundraising events, meetings and other activities. This is a new committee formed to support one of out biggest volunteer roles on the PTA so we are looking for people who can help shape and define this new committee..
- Room Parent Co-Chair: Help relay information from PTA and committee chairs to room parents to disseminate information to the classrooms. This is mostly working on the computer and a low profile time commitment.
We are looking forward to next year. We’ve set audacious goals, created new committees and opportunities for the Davis Community, and are hoping to refresh and renew our communication channels and commitment to include more parents in the conversations about our school. I hope you will join us in these efforts. Please feel free to reach out to me via firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments you have.