We need your help. Here’s why:
Our mission is to provide weekend food during the school year for Davis children who may otherwise go without. The only qualification to participate in this program is participation in the Federal Free and Reduced Meal Program. For some of these kids, their breakfast and lunch at school are the only hot meals they will have for the day during the week and weekend meals are scarce.
How it Works
Each Friday morning a small team of volunteers fill bags with canned food, oatmeal, cereal, popcorn, jerky and snacks. These bags are discreetly placed in qualifying children’s backpacks at the end of the day.
The food is bought from local retailers and it costs about $100 per student every year. This year Davis has over 100 students receiving bags every week.
The program is funded through donation from Davis families, generous community members, and the Davis PTA.
How You Can Help
- Donate Online: Go to the main Blessings in a Backpack website: https://www.blessingsinabackpack.org/donate-to-a-specific-program-or-school/
- Under Designation, select “Specific Program/School” in the drop down and type in “Will Davis Elementary” in the text box.
- Your tax record will be immediately emailed to you.
- Mail a check directly to Blessings in a Backpack to
Blessings in a Backpack Bank Lockbox
P.O. BOX 950291
Louisville, KY 40295
Note: Please make checks payable to “Blessings in a Backpack” and write “Will Davis Elementary” on the memo line.
- Look for ways to donate at Davis events like DolphinFest, the Big To-Do, and Spring Fling. Also, there are occasionally food drives through various community sponsors occasionally. Look for information about those opportunities in your Blue Folder. See below for food donation suggestions.
Does Your Company Match Donations?
If so, please contribute through their channel to ensure the match will be sent to Blessings In a Backpack.
Important: Make sure “Will Davis Elementary” is somewhere on your contribution.
Blessings in a Backpack is a 501 C (3) non-profit organization currently feeding over 93,000 children in nearly 1100 schools in 45 United States and the District of Columbia.
Find out more at www.blessingsinabackpack.org.
If you have any questions about this program or would like to volunteer to pack the bags (we usually pack in the cafeteria right after drop off on Friday mornings), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cans of Soup (kid friendly flavors preferred, such as Chicken Noodle)
- Cans of Tuna or Chicken
- Cans of Ravioli
- Individual pretzel packs
- Fruit Cups (all varieties)
- Individual Applesauce
- Granola bars
- Peanut butter crackers
- Individual nut packets
- Individual cereal boxes
- Individual oatmeal packets
- Bags of small oranges
- Bags of small apples
- Nonperishable* lunchables
- Nonperishable* cracker and tuna packs
*Versions that don’t need to be refrigerated.