What is No Place for Hate?
The anti-defamation league is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world without hate by promoting peace in schools. Every year, Austin ISD schools participate in No Place for Hate initiative. The goal is to create more harmonious communities, classrooms, and workplace by combatting bias and increasing an appreciation for the richness that diversity brings.
No Place for Hate at Davis
At Davis, we have a No Place for Hate coalition comprised of fifth grade students and the counselors. In September, we take applications from interested students. The students of the coalition should:
- Be passionate about human equality
- Want to see an end to intolerance, bullying, and hatred
- Willing to send a clear, unified message that all students have a place to belong
- Be ready to think of and implement long-term solutions to hate issues in school
The No Place for Hate coalition meets weekly to collaborate and organize ideas and events related to ending bullying and providing safe environment for all. They relay information to other students in staff and assist with special events and activities. We are proud of the following members who have contributed to our coalition this year: Jonas E., Sophia T., Elana M., Annika S., Karsten S., Katy S., Camille O., Madeline S., Maite S., Minju Y., Alyssa M., Jordan H., Eli C., and Jonathan C. These students are fifth graders who are maintaining a passing average in school, show respect in school, and participate in all activities.
Our NPFH Activities
As a NPFH campus, our student coalition is required to plan and complete three school wide activities within the school year.
- For our first activity, the students chose to begin building a peace area located near the playground. This will be an area students can access at recess time to practice mindfulness.
- The second activity will be to participate in a Walk for Peace. This walk will take place on Friday, April 7 at 1:30pm. We want to recognize the need for peaceful resolutions and the desire to create a peaceful environment for all. Parents are welcome to participate. Students will wear their Davis t-shirts, or blue or gold shirts to show support.
- Our final submission will include a picture of a peace sign that symbolizes unity within our Davis family. This peace sign will be formed by the students and staff on the field. This picture will be taken on Friday, April 7. Students will wear their Davis t-shirts, or blue or gold shirts.
Resolution of Respect
I pledge from this day forward to do my best to combat prejudice and to stop those who, because of hate or ignorance, would hurt anyone or violate their civil rights. I will try at all times to be aware of my own biases and seek to gain understanding of those who I perceive as being different from myself. I will speak out against all forms of prejudice and discrimination. I will reach out to support those who are targets of hate. I will think about specific ways my community members can promote respect for people and create a prejudice-free zone. I firmly believe that one person can make a difference and that no person can be an “innocent” bystander when it comes to opposing hate. I recognize that respecting individual dignity, achieving equality and promoting intergroup harmony are the responsibilities of all people. By signing this pledge, I commit myself to creating a community that is
NO PLACE FOR HATE.