Observe – Question – Investigate!
Calling all inquiring minds and budding scientists: The Davis Elementary Science Fair is the opportunity for you!
We encourage all young Einsteins to unleash their potential, creativity, and curiosity by participating in our annual Science Fair. This is a great opportunity for each Davis student to explore their passion, be it geology, music, sports, baking, computers, cat training, or something else entirely.
Projects may be completed individually or in a group of up to three students. The top 3rd through 5th grade projects will be selected to represent Davis at the Austin Energy Regional Science Festival.
Davis Science Fair
2019 Davis Science Fair Entry Forms
All project entries will need to be submitted with a Davis Science Fair 2019 Entry Form.
Entries from students in the third, fourth, or fifth grade also require an AERSF 2019 Elementary Project Research Form with their project submissions.
Please review the Parent/Student Information below to help make the science fair experience a successful one. We will not be able to accept project displays that contain food, liquids, or hazardous items.
Parents, if your student will have special needs for project judging, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can be prepared ahead of time to make accommodations. We would love for all students to participate in science fair!
The Davis Elementary 2019 Science Fair Information Packet contains all of the documents, project information, and rubrics you will need to participate in the Davis Science Fair. This packet should also be available in the main office by early November. The AERSF How To Do an Elementary Science Fair Project – Student Guide is an excellent resource for getting started. Science Buddies’ review of the scientific method is also helpful for students choosing to do an experiment.
The 2018 Suggested Experiment Timeline gives one framework that some have found helpful for managing their time when completing an experiment for the Science Fair. It was originally developed to match up with the dates and planned topics for the Science Fair Club.
Scroll down for Important Dates you won’t want to miss.
There are a many opportunities to help with science fair. In fact, without a lot of support from people like you, we couldn’t make this opportunity happen for our young scientists! In years past, we have been very fortunate to have volunteer judges from Davis’ Partners In Education and other members of the community, in addition to Davis families. Please read below, and then email email@example.com to sign up.
Davis community, please consider volunteering as a judge at our school science fair, on Wednesday, January 30, 2019, from 8:00 to 10:45am in the Davis cafeteria.
Davis families, please consider volunteering in one or more of the following ways:
- Behind-the-scenes work, such as inventorying and ordering awards or recruiting judges.
- Assist during the week of the Davis Science Fair by:
- Checking in projects on Tuesday, January 29, 2019 from 7:05-8:15am.
- Being a judge or a “runner” on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 from 7:50-10:45am.
- Tallying scores and organizing awards after judging on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 during the school day.
- Setting up (5:30 to 6 PM) for our Awards and Exhibition night on Thursday, January 31, 2019.
- Judge or volunteer at the Austin Energy Regional Science Festival on Saturday, February 23, 2019.
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018 – Parent Information Meeting – If you are new to the Davis Science Fair, please join us in the main lobby after drop off at 7:45am. Learn about the different types of projects, judging criteria and important due dates.
- Thursday, December 13, 2018 – Parent Information Meeting in the main lobby after drop-off at 7:45am
- Davis Science Fair:
- Projects Due: Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 7:15-7:45am in the cafeteria
- Project Judging: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:00-10:30am in the cafeteria
- Awards and Exhibition Night: Thursday, January 31, 2019, 6:00-7:30pm in the cafeteria
- Saturday, February 23, 2019 – Austin Energy Regional Science Festival at the Palmer Events Center
- TBD – Davis Scientists’ Party – For all Davis Science Fair participants, RSVP required.
Austin Energy Regional Science Festival (AERSF)
The top 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade projects from the Davis Science Fair will advance to the Austin Energy Regional Science Festival. All students and families are invited to attend the Exploring Science Day, Public Viewing of Projects, and Awards Ceremony. Please visit the Austin Energy Regional Science Festival website for more information, and requirements for participation.
Science Fair Project Ideas and “How To”
Please note that these links are to help students form ideas for possible projects; however, not all of them may be appropriate. Before beginning a science fair project, please check to make sure the chosen experiment, exhibit or collection adheres to the Davis Science Fair rules as stated in the Information Packet.
- Science Buddies
- iPL2 for Kids
- Discovery Education – Science Fair Central
- Science Bob – Science Fair Ideas
Other Science Information
- Rader’s Chem 4 Kids
- Adventures in Chemistry
- AISD Libraries (Scroll down to Science and check out all the ‘Science Project’ links)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Davis Science Fair Coordinators at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enlaces para información en español sobre Ciencia